Wednesday, January 16, 2008

2nd Doctor's Appt.

Today was an interesting day and I'm here to tell you all about it. Let me just say that I am very thankful that I started this blog, because I would be so tired of telling everyone the same story. :)

So I had my second appointment this morning. We got there early, even though it was pretty icy on the roads. I had to go to the bathroom and managed to hold it till the appointment. When we got there I said, I'm ready to go to the bathroom now, and they were like "who are you?" Oops..forgot to tell them that. After the pulled my file they let me go do my business. Thought I was going to explode. Not the first time today I thought I was going to explode.

After that they were ready to see me. They took my blood pressure and then the doctor came in. She said that all my blood work was good and there were no problems with anything. So we were happy to hear that. Then we talked about some of the issues and questions I had. After that I asked when we would be hearing heartbeats and having ultrasounds. She said we would be hearing the heartbeat then and would do the ultrasound at 20 weeks.
I was really glad that Aaron came to that appointment with me.

So there I am, laying on the table and she puts the goop on my belly and starts searching for baby. She pokin around my belly trying and trying and trying to hear something. Just sounds like a bunch of garble to me. After trying for a few minutes she gives up and says that she doesn't think that I am as far along as we originally thought, but that she could feel the baby moving in there. So she said she was going to send me for an ultrasound to find out for sure when my due date was.
I was a little nervous and freaked out that we couldn't hear the heartbeat, even though she said that she could feel the baby. We waited in the lobby until they called us back again and said they scheduled me to get an ultrasound at noon (it was a little after 9am at that time). So they told us where we needed to go and thankfully it wasn't far from work either. Aaron drove me back to work and I tried not to freak out.

Once at work...I freaked out. I went to see my supervisor, Michelle, to tell her that I would need to leave again for the ultrasound and ended up having to close her office door so I could let the hormonal emotions come out of my body in the form of freaked out tears. Now I knew things were fine, because the doctor wasn't concerned that we couldn't hear the heartbeat, just that she didn't think I was as far along as we thought. Plus she had said she could feel the baby moving. But still....I freaked out. I'm a girl and I'm very hormonal. So I had my moment and Michelle made me feel better and we talked things out. Then I went back to work and tried not to think about it. (which is really hard to do when you've just freaked out about it).

So they told me that a half hour before my appointment I would have to drink 20 oz of water, which I didn't know I would be holding throughout the entire ultrasound. Ugh. I left about a half hour early and picked up Aaron on my way. By the time we reached the radiology place I really had to go to the bathroom. I had no idea how I was going to hold it that long.
They were checking me in, taking my insurance information and then the lady says, "well they wrote down your check-in time wrong, your appointment isnt' until 12:30." I think this is when my jaw dropped....seriously lady you expect me to hold it that long and then into the ultrasound. She said "there are two things we can do, one is you can empty now and start over again or I can call and see if they can take you now." Of course I told her to call first, so she did. Thankfully the lord was looking out for me, because they were able to take me right then.

I was a little nervous because I had never had an ultrasound done before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Almost right after she put the thingy (sorry I don't know what its called) on my belly we could see the baby. It was so surreal. Baby was moving and right away we could see the heart beating. That was a huge relief. Patty was the name of the lab tech, she said the baby's heart rate was 150 or 155, I can't remember, but I do remember her saying that was good. She took measurements of the baby's belly and head. Which were about the size of a quarter. We got to see the brain and brain matter, the legs, arms, spine, everything but the sex I guess is what we saw. Patty then enhanced the picture to show colors and we could see blue and red moving around and that was the blood flow. We were able to see where the umbilical cord was, but the picture wasn't clear enough to follow the tube to see where it attached to the placenta. Patty said that if she was able to see the sex she would tell us, but the baby wasn't developed enough. But we are totally fine with that. At least we got to see the baby and know that everything was fine.
So yes, by this time I thought I my bladder was going to explode and there was going to be a big mess everywhere. She let me go to the bathroom and said we'd look at baby more after I went to the bathroom. Oh what a relief that was.
After emptying my bladder, baby seemed to have a lot more fun. There was a lot more movement and so we saw more baby; the little baby butt and the spine and even an ear. It was so COOL.
Then she got out the special stethoscope to hear the baby's heart beat. She said that since we could see where the heart was, it would be easier to hear. I got to hear it for a couple seconds and it was pretty awesome, but not as exciting as seeing the baby on the monitor. Aaron wasn't able to hear because of his hearing aids, but he said it was cool enough seeing the heart beating on the monitor.
They printed out pictures for us, which are labeled so we'll be able to tell whats what in the blob. That was the best part I think.

At Aaron's work he went around with the pictures and showed all the people he worked with. So I got to meet them all and talk about baby stuff. I myself was pretty anxious to get back to work so I could do the same thing. Finally, I had my turn. Michelle was really happy that everything was fine, because I had made her a little nervous when I freaked in her office earlier in the day. Then I spent the next half hour going around showing everyone the baby pictures....regardless if they wanted to see them or not.

So we are truely blessed that everything worked out. For whatever reason, the baby was stubborn and didn't want to allow us to listen to the heart beat at the inital appointment. However I am still due on July 17th and am at 14 weeks right now. 20 weeks isn't that far from now and will probably be around the end of February when we find out the sex of our baby. And we will find out....there will be no suprises for us.

I am going to do my best to scan the pictures and post them. Hopefully they will come out okay and you'll be able to see Baby Magee Blob. :0)

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Woohoo!!! You finally saw/heard the hearbeat!!! I'm still 3 days ahead of you lady. :) I have my 15 week check up next week and then in February we find out the sex. Yay!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Aaron & Elizabeth, what an awesome sight to our our grandchild on the ultrasound! We're so grateful to God for this precious blessing coming this summer. So happy the day had such a happy outcome!!
Love you two, Dad & Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy your ultrasound turned out so great! I know all too well how scary it can be when things don't seem to be going right. I look forward to more updates!