that time of year when your child gets sick, and then you get sick and then you pass it along to everyone you know and they get sick. Rebekah's been feeling poopy for a couple of days and slowly I've been feeling it coming on too. The last couple of nights Rebekah hasn't been sleeping well, which means neither Aaron nor I have been sleeping well. I am hoping tonight will be better than the previous two nights. I bought one of those vapor plug in things at the store today. I like having them when I'm sick, so hopefully it will help her breathe a little better.
I think another problem Rebekah is having is teeth related. I haven't seen anything poking through, but there has been plenty of drooling and chewing on her fingers which suggests to me that she's trying to cut some new teeth. If she'd leave her mouth open for longer than a second when I say "ah" then I might be able to see some evidence of teeth, but I've had no such luck.
Last night I felt like a bad mom, in the worst way. Rebekah had been crying because she couldn't sleep, didn't want to sleep I'm not sure which. So I was down here looking for jobs like I normally do in the evening and listened to her cry on the monitor. After a little bit of listening to her cry I finally went up to check on her and see what was going on. I got in there and noticed this dark spot on the bed where she'd been laying...it was blood! I totally freaked out, picked her up and took her to the bathroom. Now the whole time I had been listening to her, I never heard her cough or anything so wasn't sure what was going on. It was coming from her mouth, but she wouldn't let me look in her mouth. I got a rag and washed the drool out and tried to peak inside and couldn't find any source to the blood. She thought it was great to be out of the crib and in the bathroom as she likes looking at herself in the mirror so she instantly waved and said Hi to me while I'm freakin out. That's how I knew she was okay. I'm still not certain, but I think she may have bit the inside of her cheek, but since she won't leave her mouth open for any amount of time I'm not totally for sure on that. It wasn't her tounge as that was about the only thing I could see.
So after cleaning her mouth out, we had to change her bedding and her PJ's. She clearly wasn't going to go to sleep with her mouth hurting and I couldn't for the life of me find her oral gel, so I did the only thing I could think of and called Aaron at work. I asked him to go to the store and get some oral gel and popsciles and come home. And that's exactly what he did. He said at that moment, child came before work. So she was up until at least 10 having popsicle and then getting ready for bed again. Then she put up another fight. This time with Aaron. Everytime he would put her down she would wake up again and start crying. I think it was well after 10:30 before she was asleep.
Now the reason I feel like a bad mom was as I was sitting down here thinking, oh she just doesn't want to go to sleep, she's actually upstairs bleeding everywhere. Geez. What a way to get the blood pumpin in the evening!
Anyway hopefully there won't be any repeat performances of that anytime soon. She actually didnt' put up a fight tonight like she has the last ocuple of nights, so hopefully this means for better sleeping. I'll keep you posted.
1 comment:
Oh, Elizabeth, there's absolutely no way you could have known. None. And she'd been coming down with something. I know you already know this, but you're an incredible parent!!
Post a Comment