So I had my first ever State job interview today. It was for a part time office position with the Department of Revenue. It didn't really sound part time to me when they were explaining, just that there would be a couple weeks here and there that they wouldn't need anyone. For example the people in the position now only had three weeks off during the slow part of tax season...and that just sounds like a vacation. I'm sure no money during those three weeks sucked, but other than that I just don't see it as part time.
Anyhow....I drove by the building yesterday so that i would have an idea about where it was located and what parking was going to be like. I had to pay $1.50 for 2 hours of parking, which wasn't too bad. It could have been worse...I can't imagine what people pay in places like Portland.
So I was writing my friend Lisa last night and describing to her how HUGE this building was. Then I was telling Aaron about how HUGE the building was and that it took up a whole city block. But then I felt stupid because when I got downtown today I realized that almost all the state building take up a whole city block. LOL
It's just that all my life I've been up and down those streets thousands of times, but never really paid any attention to the buildings or how big they were. So when I was actually looking at the buildings yesterday and this morning...it was a little overwhelming. It wasn't big city skyscraper big, but they were big buildings, with lots of people working in them. It's just a lot to wrap your brain around when you're really a small town kind of girl.
The interview went okay. I got there really early, but they gave me the questions to look over before going up to the interview. I don't know whether that helped or not. I always think of what I should have said...afterwards. So you'd think that if you think about them beforehand you can have a clear example and answer...but I know I didn't do as well as I could. I wish I could just write out my answer for them so they didn't have to. I might get more out.....sometimes I loose my train of thought because I'm so nervous and or I forget what I was going to say. See and they only wanted on instance and I could have provided more than one instance for a lot of the questions...sometimes I think its better not to know and just be surprised by the questions as they come to you.
There are 4 position open, so I feel I have a better shot at getting one of the four. They'll let everyone know by next week either way. I would get benefits if I got the job, and that would be awesome. Plus I could chose my own working hours and that is really good too. If I went in early enough we'd probably only need to get a sitter for a couple of hours for Rebekah instead of put her in daycare...which I really don't want to do right now. I know she'd love to play with other kids, but we just don't have the extra money to spend on daycare when really we only need someone for a couple of hours. So we'll see.
My next interview is on Friday, from 8-10am. It's a group interview with the Employment Department. I've never done a group interview before so it should be interesting to say the least. I can't for the life of me imagine what we would do for two hours though, as most interviews only take a half hour at most. So that one will be different and I'll probably blog afterwards so you know how that exprience goes.
Well I think I'm going to go watch a little bit of a movie and then head to bed. Thanks for all the luck...keep your fingers/toes crossed for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment