Wednesday, October 22, 2008

update on job

So yesterday my dear friend Lisa asked what it was I will be doing and I can't believe that I have left that part out of my blog. But with so much that we learned yesterday I think it was acceptable that I didn't think to put it in my blog.

I will be helping process application forms for the Annual Enrollment of Medicare/Medicade which begins November 15 and runs through December 31st. Last year they processed over 100 thousand applications. In my training group there were 13 other people besides myself. I was told that another group will train next week containing at least 15 people. We were told that we would do one specific job one week and then change the next so that we didn't burn out on anything. So our jobs could vary from entering notes into the members file, making copies of the application, printing out USPS address verification, making sure the member packet is in correct order or running the information from our desks to the fifth floor where our supervisory type people will be working.

Today we were told we would be shown our desks on the 4th floor after we returned from lunch. However when I came back from lunch I was asked outside with a couple other people and we were told that we had been selected to do a 'special project' and to not say anything to the others so that they would not feel bad about not being asked. The special project turns out to be learning to be an underwriter. Which I'm not totally sure what all that will entail because we only touched on it very briefly today and since it wasn't something we all needed to learn we just moved on.
So tomorrow and friday I, along with five others will train on how to do the underwriting. It is so we can be back up to those that already do underwriting, in case it gets too busy and they need help. Next week we will spend the week job shadowing those who currently do the underwriting. I feel kind of excited that I was selected to do this and interested in learning more about the process of the applications. I am not excited about learning more information. I already feel brain overload!
We did get to visit the fourth floor so we could see where we would be sitting. The office space is huge and a ton of people in cubicle groups. They kept our group together so it will be nice to be around similar faces.
Anyway I have dinner cooking and I need to get ready to feed Rebekah. Just wanted to add more about the job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going REAL well at work. That's neat you were selected for underwriting. Perhaps that means a better chance for permanent work.

Lisa said...

Hurray! I already sent you a message about this but I can't not comment. Not in my nature. You got picked for a special project because you're so darn competent, missy. ;) You're going to be become irreplaceable and then they'll have to offer you a permanent position!